Volunteer Coordinator – Mule Creek State Prison – Ione, CA
SUMMARY: Tender Loving Canines Assistance Dogs (TLCAD) is a non-profit organization dedicated to transforming lives with service dogs. Our dogs are trained by prison inmates and provided to wounded military heroes and individuals with autism. Visit www.tenderlovingcanines.org for more information. TLCAD is a fast growing organization providing an exciting opportunity to gain valuable experience, but also providing a level of personal fulfillment from knowing that you are doing something amazing for your community and making a difference by transforming people’s lives for the better. This position is responsible for the administrative tasks involved in the recruitment, selection, training and management of all volunteers for the Mule Creek State Prison’s POOCH Program.
- Works with TLCAD’s MCSP team to develop marketing plan for recruiting POOCH volunteers and implements.
- Interviews and selects volunteer applicants for furlough, pet sitting and general volunteer roles. Conducts home visit as part of the selection process.
- Manages all volunteer related documentation on OneDrive/Server.
- Manages online volunteer sign-up webpage for all furlough volunteers.
- Schedules volunteers to attend weekly training outings.
- Assists on weekly training outings when needed.
- Brings any program related concerns to the attention of local instructors and Training Director immediately.
- Adheres to TLCAD and correctional facility safety rules and procedures, ensuring that the job functions are done in a safe manner.
- Coordinate with social media editor to update social media posts related to program.
- Assists in inmate classes on an as-needed basis, adhering to the lesson plans provided by TLCAD.
- Participates in all other duties, projects and special tasks as assigned.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Must be willing to handle TLCAD dogs on training outings.
- Ability to drive and operate personal vehicle for the transportation of dogs as required.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office suite. Experience with CRM database management programs such as Saleforce desirable.
- Must possess valid state driver’s license with no more than minor infractions on record.
- Excellent people communication and public speaking skills.
POSITION TYPE AND EXPECTED HOURS OF WORK:
- This is a part-time hourly position consisting of 20 hours per week. These hours are flex and may be adjusted depending on the needs of the organization. This position will require working weekends, as well as holidays and being open to working additional shifts on an as needed basis.
- Knowledge of canine behavior and development plus general puppy raising techniques. Service dog training experience preferred.
- Ability to organize work effectively and work independently; friendly disposition; ability to relate to a wide range of people, puppies and young adult dogs.
- Effective communicator and team player.
- Desire to continue professional development to improve skills and enhance performance.
The employee is required to:
- Stand, walk, push, pull, reach overhead and bend to the floor
- Drive and operate safely personal automobile with clean DMVR
- Lift up to 60 pounds
- Ability exert 20 to 50 pounds of force including pushing or moving objects
Visual Acuity: Visional acuity are required for ability to see and read dog’s reaction to environment and distractions, ability to read forms, documentation and computer screen.
Hearing Ability: Ability to interact with dog, trainers, students and volunteers in an informal way or by providing instruction through seminars or training exercises.
Physical Ability: Possess the ability to handle and control a dog in order to demonstrate the training exercises being taught. Must possess the physical strength to lift healthy, potentially strong, large breed puppies.
Working Conditions: Work within a prison environment. You must abide by the policies and procedures of the prison as well as follow directions from Correctional Officers and other prison staff in order to ensure everyone’s safety. The individual must pass a prison background check and attend an annual orientation.
***Please send cover letter & resume to firstname.lastname@example.org or apply here.